Saturday, May 1, 2010

When Birds Attack

It was a really beautiful day today, so I decided to go up onto the roof with my laptop and stare out over the jungle and the city of Taipei as I wrote. I was only up there for a moment when - wham! There's some kind of black-and-white-and-orange bird flying at my face! 


I managed to scare it away by screaming and cowering on the ground like a little girl, which I am, and ran inside. When I peered back outside, it's hanging over the roof that covers the doorway, looking right at me. It flew at me again, and then starting swooping over my head again and again. 


Eventually, after the attack, I climbed up the ladder to see if it had a nest or not - I thought I had heard other birds chirping. Nah. 


A myna. Just a myna. Technically a jungle myna.


One really jaunty, annoying, myna. Really tiny,  really brave. I stayed on the roof for awhile, watching the birds - there are swallows, doves,white-eared sibias, and loads of these guys. I also had the chance to watch a white-tailed tropicbird wheel around the valley for a few minutes. 


Just thought it would be cool to show. There's some great bird species in Taiwan; this island is actually a prime bird-watching site. Especially my house, apparently.


I'm getting my friend's book, Shinken, tomorrow, and I'll read it ASAP - a review and interview will be up soon. 


-Ari

No comments:

Post a Comment